Saturday, January 12, 2013

Humility Nuggets - 1

Checkout the icon below. How do we call it?


You probably got it right, it is the Theotokos (i.e., Mother of God) icon.

About a week ago, my wife and I just moved to our home in CA. As we unpack, she started placing magnet icons on the refrigerator on the shape of the cross. The main magnet was of the Theotokos, while the other magnets were for martyrs and saints. I then said: we should have one more for daddy Jesus Himself, He is more important. Then I was immediately, thanks to God, struck with the following 2 facts:

1. The Theotokos Icon is actually of Baby Jesus! St. Mary got her title of Theotokos only because God, Jesus, is in the picture! How come I oversaw Him? How many times and many faithful and righteous people do stare at the Theotokos Icon and only speak to St. Mary, as if God is not in the picture?! How many times we seek saints intersession and seek miracles, overseeing God, Jesus, who is in fact the main actor in the icon, and the saint's story behind the icon, as well as in any miracle any saint would do! I have always thought that humility is to be out of the picture. I realized yet another deeper dimension of humility. Humility is to not only be in the picture, but even the main character of the picture, yet be unseen or overseen.  This is God's humility!

2. St. Mary, Pope Cyril 6th, St. George, St. Mina, St. Philopater,  Mother Irini, etc., ... all whom we call saints, they were all humble enough to live no longer they live, but Christ in them. If we look closely to read each and every Icon, we will in fact see Christ Himself. This is our, mankind, ever long aimed humility.


I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, butChrist lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:20) NKJV

1 comment:

  1. I'd that question in my thoughts before, there is a deep meaning you can find in these icons.

    Here is a sermon I heard about St. Mary's Icons, and really changed my look to icons.

    http://orthodoxsermons.org/sermons/st-mary-guide

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis